Thursday, November 20, 2008

What are you reading?

Specifically, what books are you reading? Since I'm sort of in over my head these days, I plan to live vicariously through you...I bet you're regretting our friendship right now, aren't you? Yep, I thought you would.

What's that? What have I been reading? Honestly (and somewhat shamefully), I read (too many) blogs in the middle of the night. Daily Kos, AmericaBlog, MediaMatters, Smitten Kitchen, PostPunk Kitchen, Gawker, Wonkette, Via Chicago, Sorry I Missed Your Party...I'm all over the place (which explains alot, doesn't it?) As far as books go, I'm not trying too hard lately. I've just finished Kurt Vonnegut's A Man Without A Country (he was sort of a coot near the end...) and a really truly trashy book about the Rolling Stones: Exile on Main Street: A Season in Hell with the Rolling Stones (which could not have been worse if sheep wrote it -- a.w.f.u.l.), so I'm sort of at loose ends. There's a stack (of smart books) next to the bed and another stack (of even smarter books) in the living room, but I'm just not really feeling any of those books these days (also, I seem to have the attention span of a newt).

So I'm hoping that you can help me out with a few great recommendations. I'm not looking for a big "commitment" book but not another rock band book, either. I'd like an engaging read, yet something that I won't feel guilty about falling asleep on, night after night. Because that's what will happen. Any advice?

3 comments:

ScottE. said...

I just finished reading THE ROAD by Cormac McCarthy...really good, but depressing and desolate and at points terrifying.

Dancer in DC said...

I had just finished Dan Savage's Skipping Towards Gomorrah which was an interesting examination of the 7 deadly sins in modern America.

If you'd like something escapist that you can pick up and put down at any time (if you can resist reading more), try Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City.

Next on my list is The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry. I'll keep you posted if it's any good.

pricklygirl said...

Love Cormac McCarthy and Armistead Maupin -- have you read the whole Tales from the City series? I think I still have them all to lend...
Will give Dan Savage a read -- I love the stuff he's written about his family.