Thursday, May 28, 2009

My mom makes the best rhubarb cake.

You know what I really miss about living so far away from my parents? My mom's cooking. I grew up in awe of her abilities, and when I finally got my own kitchen I kept her voice in my head when trying new recipes (and ignoring recipes in favor of my own experience and ideas.) So far, it's worked out pretty well!

She makes this delicious rhubarb cake that makes me think about my grandma and grandpa, who lived in Manly, Iowa. My grandpa, a train engineer, used to have a very large garden. Rumor has it that he used to like to garden in his boxer shorts when it got really hot, and that he always waved hello to the ladies. Rumor also has it that my grandma, a pretty stern woman under the best of circumstances, did not appreciate my his naturally friendly nature. He died when I was only five or six, so I really didn't get to know him. I think I would have liked him a lot.

No comments: