Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Won't You Be My Neighbor?

Wear a sweater on Thursday, March 20, to remember one of the great luminaries of children's television. Fred Rogers would have been 80 years old on Thursday. When I was a little girl, my dad traveled quite alot. Mr. Rogers looked a fair bit like my dad, and somehow I got it into my head that "Mr. Rogers" was my dad's secret identity, and that's why he was away from home -- other kids needed him too. Can't remember when I figured things out, but I've always had a soft spot for Mr. Rogers/aka my dad.

Thank you, Mr. Rogers, for your lasting contributions to children's television. We miss you. I miss you.

(And thanks to friend and neighbor Brave Astronaut for the heads up on doings in Pittsburgh.)

1 comment:

Caitlin Adams said...

I wore one -- a cardigan even! I have tried to get Iz to watch Mr. Rodgers -- he was not so interested. Crazy kid.